Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Happy Birthday Mem

Mary and "Bud" Lamberti

Today is My Mem's Birthday. Mem is my grandmother, my Mom's mom


Mary Ethal Hickam was born on March 1st, 1933


She was the second of four girls.


She married Domenick Guido Lamberti. Yep he is Italian!


They meet at an Army Dance camp at Camp Atterbury right after my Poppy got out of the Army. She danced with him that night because he was good looking and his teeth glowed from across the room! (because of the Italian dark skin.) They married 3 months later!


Mem worked as an Office Manager for many years for various Financial/Loan companies in downtown Indianapolis. My mom used to go to work with her mom on days off from school. My mom wanted to be just like her. Well she is and so is her daughter.

Mem and Poppy had 2 girls of their own. Marcia Lamberti and Gina Lamberti

My mem was a wonderful beautiful person. She was also very smart. I have a lot of fond memories of her. She loved all of her grandchildren very much. I remember her taking me out on my birthday's to lunch at the Lazarus Tea room and shopping at the mall. I remember spending the night at her house, wearing her fur coat and silver sequin hat dancing in her living room. I remember watching The Wizard of Oz and The Dirt Bike Kid ( Does anyone else remember this movie) over and over.
My mem loved her coffee especially at night. Because I admired her I also loved coffee. I thought she was giving me the real stuff till I realized it was a splash of coffee in my hot chocolate. I still love coffee to this day.
My Mem loved to do Charles Wysocki puzzles and crosswords. Everyone in the family would help.
Unfortunately my Mem developed Alzheimer's. Just like her mom had. Although we were all sad to see this happen we cherish all the wonderful memories we have of her. We will always remember her for her beauty, elegance, charm, kindness, cooking ( she was a great cook. Just like my Mom and aunt Marcia) Her loyalty and devotion to her family.
I knew she was a great grandmother but now that I have children of my own I truly cherish what a wonderful grandmother she really was. I see her every time I look at my mother when she is with her grandchildren. It's funny too because my girls remind me of myself and my sister. Does that mean a boy is on the way! j/k had to lighten it up a bit! :)
Happy Birthday Mem. We love you and Miss you but know that we will see you and Poppy one day!


1 comment:

  1. What a nice tribute to your grandmother. What a horrible disease Alzheimer's is. Hopefully a cure or at least better treatment will be found soon.

    ReplyDelete