Friday, March 8, 2013

Aunt Marcia's Saturday morning donuts


As a kid growing up I used to spend a lot of time with my cousin TJ. We are 9 months apart. My mom only has 1 sibling, my aunt Marcia. So for the first four years it was just TJ and I. We were really close and did a lot of things together. I remember staying all night at Marcia's house and it seemed that every Saturday morning she would make these really delicious donuts. They were your basic refrigerator biscuits donuts. I always thought they were such a treat and so neat that she would make just for us. So I decided to make the same treat for my girls.

We started out with generic biscuits from Kroger (.49) we flattened them and then used a glass bottle cap. You remember the kind, like the ones from he old Pepsi glass bottles. You can use anything round or a cookie cutter but this is how my aunt did it so I am keeping with tradition. The girls helped me do this part. Although I did have to help pull the dough out of the bottle cap.

 
I then heated up a pan of oil ( I used Sunflower) and dropped in the biscuits. (Note: do not let kids around hot oil, Adults only) I recommend only frying 2 at a time. Don't overcrowd the pot. It only takes about 60 seconds on each side or until golden brown. Then place the baked donuts on a paper plate covered with a paper towel. I made a cinnamon and sugar mix which I dipped the baked donuts in after ever so slightly drying off on the paper towel.

 
Don't they look yummy? I also added dark chocolate sauce, carmel, and grape jelly to cute little dishes for easy dipping. I thought the girls would really enjoy this but Danny and I ate most of the toppings.  I also made a pumpkin pie mixture which I added to the cinnamon sugar mixture. It was tasty (side note: I made two pumpkin donuts. 1 for danny and 1 for myself. They were placed on top and Danny and I ate them first. Every donut Gracie picked up she said, oops I think I got the pumpkin one, No you didn't grace...Mom, is this one the pumpkin one...on and on it went. ☺)

 
The girls enjoyed their special treat and I enjoyed telling them the stories of our Aunt Marcia making these donuts for me when I was a little girl. I love passing down traditions and memories.
 
What will you share with your children/family this weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment